Last Chance Cook-Off


Well Connie and I entered another Dutch Oven Cook off the other day. It was at The Sportsman's Warehouse in Midvale, and put on by the Storm Mountain Dutch Oven Chapter of IDOS. We decided to cook some easy things. I think my new outlook is to cook things that real people would want to try instead of being overly fancy. Now that's not to say we won't do new things because I think that is the fun and the challenge to cook something new.
We started setting up at about 8:45 and it started at 10:00AM It is a fun group to be involved with and it was pretty low key for a cook off. Well we cooked: Country Fried oops Baked Chicken, and Honey Bacon Loaf for our bread. (Disaster) Then for dessert we did Grandma's Chocolate Zucchini Cake. We ended up taking 5th place out of 5 teams. (Not to well, but we had fun) The bread didn't rise correctly so it was a "Boat Anchor". I had to apologize to the judges because they would have to taste it. :) I thought the cake and the chicken turned out well, but not good enough. Some of you know Debbie and Mike Hair they took 1st place and are now eligible to go the the World Championship in March of 2009. woooohoooo!
I joked with some of the guys that I wanted to win a custom made rolling pin that Terry Lewis made. And guess what 4th and 5th place one....Yep the rolling pins! (and a gift certificate from Sportsman's Warehouse..... thank you!) So now I have to work on my pie crusts with Our new rolling pin!
All in all it was a great day. A little cold in the morning for Connie but it heated up pretty nice. I will try and add my recipes as I get some time. Here are some more pics. If you want to see all of them from the day, hit the link for The Storm Mountain Chapter above.


Comments

Ranes said…
You have to admit that there were some great teams at that cook-off. Fifth place isn't all that bad when you are up against the Hair's, Carol, and Jason and Phil. Those are three teams I wouldn't want to go up against!

And... you walked away with a lot more prizes than I did. Next time, you host the cook-off and I'll take fifth place. =0)
Ted said…
You do need to cook again!

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Lava Cake via the Dutch Oven

New Recipe I'm working on...Chocolate Pumpkin Tart

Semi Finals Menu Explained